CLAN ARC
Arc has moved to www.clan-arc.boards.net . Please join us there to continue as a member of the Arc community .
September 2018
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Moving boards
28/6/2018, 13:45 by Chaz C

» Last post wins!
25/6/2018, 11:27 by MCE 81

» You might be interested to learn....
22/6/2018, 13:24 by Keltic

» I've been thinking...
22/6/2018, 10:30 by heavytread

» Moving forward with ARC
22/6/2018, 10:26 by heavytread

» new, old toy
21/6/2018, 20:21 by AK5 81

» New board for VR gaming fans.
20/6/2018, 21:33 by TattasticGamerVR

» The future of ARC
20/6/2018, 15:20 by jazlite

» Little gaming goals you set yourself
20/6/2018, 07:45 by Keltic

» Some gaming plans
18/6/2018, 15:50 by Keltic

» Does anyone still game
17/6/2018, 16:06 by deathangel73

» E3 2018 Vids and posts.
12/6/2018, 08:04 by Keltic

» Sony E3 2018 Conference
12/6/2018, 07:55 by Keltic

» Unisoft E3 2018 Conference
12/6/2018, 06:13 by Keltic

» Square Enix E3 2018 Conference
11/6/2018, 21:14 by Keltic

» EA E3 2018 Conference
11/6/2018, 18:02 by Keltic

» Assassin's Creed movie
11/6/2018, 12:20 by knikki91

» Bethesda E3 2018 conference
11/6/2018, 09:59 by Keltic

» Microsoft E3 2018 conference
11/6/2018, 09:57 by Keltic

» Clan ARC June 18 Newsletter
10/6/2018, 09:05 by Keltic

» RDR2
9/6/2018, 23:43 by Chaz C

» Early impressions of VR
7/6/2018, 23:33 by Chaz C

» Black Ops 4
6/6/2018, 17:36 by X DRAGONBACK X

» Normal service will resume next week
4/6/2018, 20:17 by Keltic

» Destiny 2
1/6/2018, 22:17 by xsor

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Moving forward with ARC

Go down

Moving forward with ARC

Post by Keltic on 18/6/2018, 11:30

Hi folks, im looking some feedback on this from everyone really. As things stand i don't see a way forward here. Currently around two thirds of users have not logged in to the forum in at least a year and there seems little interest from the majority. Ive setup the site to work with the topic'it app, it is optimised to work on mobile browsers and ive even cleaned up the forum itself. Also with the changes made by forumotion concerning costs i feel the site has become cost prohibitive to run.

Obviously my preference would be to get the majority back here and gaming together but that seems a non starter.
My next option is to move the remaining Arc members to a new site, relaunch ARC from there from scratch and bring in new blood, lock down the Forumotion site as a read only archive leaving it open to old members to read or look at if or when they want. If we do this im recommending proboards as its useable via tapatalk app and while there are ads, they do not redirect you or create popups and is free to use.

Final option is the least preferred, lock the site down to archive and wrap up arc completely, I'll go with the majority concerning this.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"… Albert Einstein
Keltic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 2222
XBL : Keltic
PSN.. : oKELTICo
Registration date : 2008-10-15

Back to top Go down

Re: Moving forward with ARC

Post by heavytread on 18/6/2018, 12:46

I have no objection to you moving ARC to another site, but as you point out there doesn't seem to be the camaraderie that made ARC what it once was. I think that multi-platform gaming has to some extent splintered ARC where once the Xbox reigned supreme and COD was the game of choice for the majority of the membership. Sadly, I have long suspected that the demise of the clan was inevitable with peeps joining game/platform specific clans where they know others will be online and joinable. I'll miss the humour and and the gaming together but 10 years is quite an accomplishment! cheers

Raptr Forum Signature

heavytread
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 9500
XBL : heavytread
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Keltic on 18/6/2018, 13:01

If we were to move to a new board it would be to facilitate to remaining members who want to stay together. I think a couple of things we would need to determine is what games we were going to focus on etc. Personally i would like to get some of the guys together on say the Cod4 remaster , Division and Destiny co op, or other games with Horde or Survival modes.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"… Albert Einstein
Keltic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 18/6/2018, 22:38

I know at some point, someone made an ARC Facebook page...any thoughts to posting on it for folks to pop over here and give some input.
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 3265
XBL : AWUGOD
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Keltic on 19/6/2018, 07:57

I have tried, majority of posts are either ignored or posts claiming no interest in site anymore. Even copied this post over and got one reply out of 40+ views.
This site will remain ad free until start 2019 then it becomes too expensive to run with so few members. The ads would not be a major issue if they were not so intrusive. Too many redirects especially on mobile browser and too many large screen ads on pc.
Any free forum will have ads but I draw the line on redirects. The proboards site ads are in two places as banners only and if you use Tapatalk you can buy the as free version yourself for next to nothing and it's yours for good no matter what sites you visit.

Keltic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by Keltic on 19/6/2018, 11:44

FYI, to make the board ad free would cost approximately £50 a year or around $70. I didnt mind when it was around £15 but its now more than i want to pay out.

Keltic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by USMCWeatherMan on 19/6/2018, 21:52

wow...well maybe at some point a few will come back even if we've moved forums.
USMCWeatherMan
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 3265
XBL : AWUGOD
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Keltic on 21/6/2018, 10:42

@Keltic wrote:FYI, to make the board ad free would cost approximately £50 a year or around $70. I didnt mind when it was around £15 but its now more than i want to pay out.

Ive been looking into the packages offered by forumotion and frankly they are a rip off, it seems that folk have paid for them then had to pay more for ad removal as well. It appears a fair number of forums have decided to move to new hosts due to this, especially those with smaller footfall from ive read on the support boards.

As for the ad's. Redirects have been an issue since 2016 especially on mobile though flash scams have also been seen on pc browsers and pop ups are a thing especially on less active sites.

As things stand im fairly certain we need to up sticks and move sites, at the minute my preference as ive said is proboards, simply because its easy to use, free and the ads are straight forward banners with no redirect issues and flash scams. Also its usable via tapatalk app on android and apple. The site ive put together is at http://clan-arc.boards.net and open for you guys to look around and give feedback on.
The other main reason for using it is the lack of technical effort needed to run it and as i said previously, no host fees.

Keltic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by mutantblues on 21/6/2018, 12:53

This site is pretty much dead, the members don't use it anymore and don't want it. Keltic has tried to drum up support and got no response. You've got 20 people logged in this month which is not great. Too many splinter groups with different interests and I suspect some of the bad blood and rivalries that built up put people off as well.

A new beginning would seem to be the way to go if anything is to be saved. We would need to think about what type of clan would be rebuilt, do we only do Xbox or expand it for PS4 and PC? Would we put out content via streaming etc? What do we do with all these sheep?

mutantblues
ARC staff
ARC staff

Male Number of posts : 5765
XBL : Mutant Blues
Registration date : 2008-10-21

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/geekantiquesshop

Back to top Go down

Post by Keltic on 21/6/2018, 15:16

Actually thinking about this and a new board may work, the bulk of the folk remaining are xbox, anyone wanting to run with alternate platforms can actually be given specific permissions to manage certain boards as they want and it would be their choice how to grow it while the mainstay go about the xbox side of things. My personal thought is complete restart and lock this site into archive. Maybe new board with blank slate is the way forward. Arc 2.0 Question

Keltic
ARC staff
ARC staff

Back to top Go down

Post by heavytread on 22/6/2018, 10:26

I'm liking the sound of Arc-2.0, its sexy!

Raptr Forum Signature

heavytread
ARC Post Whore
ARC Post Whore

Male Number of posts : 9500
XBL : heavytread
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down